Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Why Do You Read?



Okay, raise your hand if you read the back of cereal boxes. Yep, just as I suspected—lots of hands, my own included. Boredom readers. Breakfast is a boring meal at our house. No one’s had their coffee yet, so we sit at the table staring at one another and hoping that caffeine and sugar will jump start our brains.

Sometimes I read the newspaper, other times I don’t. I really don’t care what-actress-dumped-what-actor-for-what-reason. There’s always the front page, but I’m sick to death of politics and economics. The novel that I’m reading is infinitely more interesting (even the cereal box is more interesting if my brain is too befuddled to remember where I left the novel I was reading). Which leads to another reading reason—escapism. I love to take a break and visit another time or place or other people whose faces aren’t glazed with sleep.

But I have another reason for reading, beauty and thought. Sometimes I set aside time to experience words and their stories—poetry and classic literature. (BTW, the Aeneid is a total Iliad knock off. Homer should have sued.)

And sometimes I read to laugh. I like Dave Berry, though I feel sorry for his mother-in-law. And I love PG Woodhouse. Someone has said of him, “It is impossible to be unhappy while reading the adventures of Jeeves and Wooster. And I've tried.” It’s true. Try it.

What about you? Why do you read?

14 comments:

  1. I had a friend in high school write a surprisingly awesome poem based on shampoo bottle directions! I guess you can get inspiration from all over! I read for pleasure...but that's a broad statement, because so much of what I read make me happy, even weird stuff. And now that I have a Kindle, I read ALL THE TIME!! Ah, bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with this post!! It's fabulous.

    I read because I love the escape. In two minutes flat I'm in a new universe, I'm in love, I'm laughing, I'm scared -- I can do whatever I want in a book! It's also why I write them. I write what I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to get into stories. I'm with Jen, I love the escape. The emotions you can go through in just a few pages keeps me reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popping over from CQG's blogfee to say hi. I read to escape and to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love getting sucked into a new world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I'm here from CQG too! What I read depends on my mood but almost always for the escape. That's the best part about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm here from CQG, too! What I read depends on what mood I'm in but it's always for escape. That's the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can up you on this. My family reads the fliers that are delivered to the door. How lame is that?????

    Obviously dinner time in our family doesn't involve family discussions. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elizabeth--a poem based on shampoo directions?! That's fantastic.

    Stina--I read the circulars too. (Cringe.)

    Ashley, Sandra, Clarissa,Ibdiamond--yes, absolutely, Escape!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I just found your blog from a friend's and wanted to say hi.

    Besides to escape all the things on my never-ending To-Do list, I also read instead of watching movies and longer TV shows because of my attention span. I can stop a book whenever I want, then pick up and reread a few paragraphs to remember what happened. It's harder to get up and walk away from a movie/show (but I can't focus for that long, unfortunately.)

    Great post and nice meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read to escape. I want to be transported for a few hours. Fortunately, great writers have that ability.

    If it's non fiction (something I hardly ever read) by the way, you ever meet those people who DON'T read fiction? As if to say "I don't have time for such frivolity..."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a pile of boredom reading stuff on my kitchen island, like magazines and Pottery Barn catalogs. What I should do is put an unfinished book there. That would be more fun and escapist!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to read to escape, so I tend to read funny or romance more times than not, just for that happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete