Tuesday, January 8, 2013

How Hard Can a Title Be?

I’m terrible with titles. The titles I come up with are cringe-worthy. In fact, the working title I used for Screwing Up Time was so bad I don’t dare share it with you. My son is the one who came up with the title Screwing Up Time.

It made book 2 very easy. The story was set in Babylon, so book 2 was Screwing Up Babylon. And the short story was set in Mongolia, so the title was “Screwing Up Mongolia.” Easy.

And then book three came along. And trouble came with it. Not that the book’s a problem. It’s not. The title is the problem. Book three isn’t set in one time. Mark actually travels to three different times—not all of them in the past. So I have no idea what to call the book. Screwing Up Place A/B/C? Really dumb.

Right now, I’m leaning toward naming it after the time/place that the plot revolves around. And I’ll give you a little hint. It’s a continent that Mark hasn’t visited before. Feel free to guess in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Titles can be so hard!! Good luck :)
    Can't wait to see where Mark travels too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My titles are terrible, but for the life of me I can't come up with anything original. Definitely something I need to work on. Maybe I need to enlist my daughter's help.

    ReplyDelete