Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest, Quarterfinals

Last Tuesday, I found out that Screwing Up Time made it to the quarterfinals of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award contest. I was so excited that my hands shook, and I kept checking the page to make sure I wasn't misreading something. But it was real!

Now I am in the running for the semi-finals, which will be announced on April 24.

After the announcements were made, Amazon allowed writers to see the reviews that the experts gave to their novels. A lot of writer friends have asked to see mine, so I thought I'd post the two reviews that I received here. (I really like the second one.) And I want to encourage everyone who's interested to check not only my excerpt but the others as well. You can download the excerpts for free, and you can review them or "like" them.

Here are my expert reviews.

Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Reviews

ABNA Expert Reviewer

What is the strongest aspect of this excerpt?

I liked the dialogue and first person narration. Additionally, I liked Miranda's appearance early in the story. Mark makes a likeable, current, interesting hero-to-be.

What aspect needs the most work?

I thought, all in all, all aspects were above average. Plot, dialogue, narrative all brought color to the piece. Nothing spectacular, but nothing lacking.

What is your overall opinion of this excerpt?

I thought this had an interesting premise, one that had been explored in other books, usually the other way around. Someone from the present going to the past. Although this was not totally original, it made the plot interesting. I thought the pace was good, the characters realistic and the dialogue typical of young adults. From the pitch, it sounds like some fun adventures fold into the plot, so I would be interested in reading more. Good work.

ABNA Expert Reviewer

What is the strongest aspect of this excerpt?

To choose one strongest aspect of this book is difficult; I loved the entire excerpt. The dialogue between Miranda and the narrator, and thoughts of the protagonist were very funny. The high concept time-travel aspect of the story has me hooked.

What aspect needs the most work?

Don't change anything. Please. This has been by far my favorite of all the excerpts I've read to date for this year's contest. If I have to nitpick, I'd say get rid of the rectangular glasses comment. It doesn't add anything.

What is your overall opinion of this excerpt?

Without a doubt this has been my favorite excerpt to date. Overall, I think the storyline, dialogue, and pacing are excellent. My best wishes to the author on getting this published and picked up my a major house.

8 comments:

  1. This is great, Connie! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding! :D I'm so excited for you!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what the reviewers said. Yay for you!!! So proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. I like the second one as well. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Connie, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I participated in ABNA in 2010 and my story was also selected as a quarterfinalist! The reviews were much, much more mixed than yours, though, which are positive positive positive :) Mine didn't make it any further, but I am crossing fingers and toes for you that you get into the next round!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! Sounds like you have a winner on your hands.
    Good luck in rock'n the final judges' worlds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that is exciting! :) YAY for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTW, I referenced you on my blog yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete